Friday, March 28, 2008

We WILL Rock You, Whether You Like it or Not

So I bought myself a guitar. A brand new, blue guitar that cost me a penny on eBay (plus $33.14 in shipping). It arrived yesterday, and for my penny, I not only got my brand new blue guitar with all six strings, but I also got a cloth carrying case, six more strings (which came in handy later when I snapped one), a pitch pipe, a strap, and – are you ready for this? – a pick. I am soooo ready to rock.

Upon opening the package for “Mama’s Bitar,” my trusty sidekick immediately began demanding her own pink bitar, so we headed to Toys R Us, which actually had one, complete with rhinestones. However, as it cost more than my blue guitar, which did not come with rhinestones I might add, we (read: I) opted to buy a “lap harp,” which is a contraption not unlike a dulcimer, but played with a large pick, and significantly less sonorous. I told my sidekick it was a lap guitar, and I think she’s buying it.

I tuned the lap harp with my new pitch pipe, and it stayed tuned for all of 30 seconds. Then I tuned my guitar with my new pitch pipe, and it stayed tuned for about 30 seconds. I’m toying with the idea of re-tuning both instruments, but in the meantime, the sidekick and I have been engaged in the production of a cacophony capable of raising the dead. Wanna come over? I believe I have a harmonica somewhere you could play.

No comments: